Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have a lot of new strategies and scientific advancements emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by expensive ads about a particular laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not understand can hurt you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician won't inform you, find another one.
Ask what steps are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount parachute. The potential cost savings are unworthy the danger of receiving less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see really well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different outcome. The very best surgeon worldwide can't ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each client. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the vision of countless individuals investigate this site around the world.