Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have many new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of people the chance to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free method to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help guarantee that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by elegant ads about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Pick a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Request information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical get more treatment issue rates. Discover another one if your medical professional won't tell you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to avoid infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The possible savings are not worth the danger of getting less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The best surgeon worldwide cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for most individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals around the world.